I agree with that thought. I just don’t think it tells the whole story. For example, these actions can help you generate some luck at work, at home or in any part of your life.
- Say “Go for it” more, and “What if it doesn’t work?” less to yourself and those around you.
- Learn from and even celebrate mistakes.
- Read something new each day, and share good content with a friend, colleague, family member or customer.
- Get in touch with someone you’ve lost touch with.
- Try a new hobby, especially if your spouse or friends think it’s weird.
- Listen to everyone. Ideas can come from anywhere.
- Think of the most difficult person in your life and try to see the world from his or her perspective.
- Change your routine to break out of a rut .
- Play for four hours. Whether it’s toys with your kids or a game with your friends, take time to lose yourself in play.
- Take off your shoes.
- Get out of your office, whether that’s in an office building or at home, get out of your space every once in a while.
- Spend one workday away from your typical workspace.
- See a problem from someone else’s perspective, rather than your own.
- Learn something new every day, even if it’s small, such as the definition of a new word
- Keep a monthly log of what you learn each day.
- Say “thank you” more often.
- Ask for more feedback on how you’re doing, whatever it is that you’re doing.
- Ask for feedback or an opinion from someone outside your normal work or social circle.
- Take a walk somewhere beautiful.
- Smile more.
Most of those suggestions hardly seem like work, do they? However, they help you see the world differently, connect with people, be more creative, and find new opportunities. That’s when good things really start to happen.
Am I saying not to plan, not to strategize, not to work hard? Not at all. What I am saying is that there’s more to success than just luck and hard work. You succeed by taking advantage of the opportunities around you. Trust me, they are everywhere. You just have to see them. These 20 activities will help you do just that.